It was mid-February in our high school in Chicago. Acceptance letters were rolling in from colleges across the country. I saw Alex, one of our seniors, walking and laughing with …
Matthew King is an educational change leader working with district and high school leaders to reimagine their high schools to increase student achievement and post-secondary success.
King most recently guided EPIC Academy from Chicago Public Schools’ warning to close list to a Level 1+ rating, the highest performance evaluation a school can earn. Despite district budget crises and serving one of the highest-need student populations in Chicago, King’s simple formula of positive energy, listening to feedback, results-orientation, belief in building teams, and work ethic led to growth and success for students:
• ACT/SAT achievement growth ranked in Top 10% of Chicago high schools
• ACT schoolwide average increased from 16.1 (860 SAT) to 18.1 (950 SAT)
• Students earning college credit before high school graduation increased from 0% to 34%
• Students winning scholarships increased from $2M to $8M
• College enrollment increased from 51% to 81%
King has 18 years of successful leadership, academic, operational, and turnaround experience and holds a B.A. from Miami University, M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction from Texas A&M, and M.Ed. in Administration & Supervision from National Louis University via New Leaders.